Obsession | 04/04/12
Finish This Sentence: Haymaker Shop Owner Arrin Williams
Photo by Sara Pooley
Andersonville’s Haymaker Shop owner Arrin Williams sums up his M.O. in the mission statement on his website: he has tapped into the “heritage/handcrafted/local-as-possible zeitgeist” with his lovingly appointed store, where every item has a story that’s close to home (i.e. it was made in the Midwest). Going with this theme, check out his upcoming local-yocal extravaganza, Local Yield, on Monday, April 16 from 7 to 10 p.m., where you’ll find Chicago-born food trucks, drinks, and art.
But first, let’s hear how Arrin finishes our sentences:
1. Every home should have a few items handmade by a family member or close friend. My favorites are wooden bowls and vases turned by my grandfather.
2. I eat like an absolute pig when I go to Jerry's Sandwiches (one coming soon to Andersonville; cannot wait!). What's that? There's something wrong with ordering two sandwiches?
3. The best music for a dinner party is New Order’s “Power, Corruption & Lies” with The Smiths’ “Louder Than Bombs.” If someone there doesn't like these two albums, they're uninvited.
4. My turn-to item of clothing is a gingham button-down (with a white V-neck undershirt) with skinny Levi's and white Chuck Taylors.
5. Most people don’t know that I grew up in San Antonio, Texas, and moved to suburban New York City my sophomore year of high school. I learned to stop using "y'all" real quick.
6. A grooming product I swear by is Murray's Pomade. Yep, that orange tin—$3 and it lasts well over a year.
Design Dose is the online extension of the inspiration, advice, and scoop that Chicago Home + Garden provides every season, only in smaller doses. Here we share news and trends, discuss design obsessions and dilemmas, and take you behind the scenes to exclusive design events and showrooms. Have a local design fave, scoop, or dilemma of your own? Share it with us here.
Follow Chicago Home + Garden on Twitter at twitter.com/chicagohomemag